The front yard of the Marshall University Pike house turned into a crime scene after the chapter’s vintage fire truck was set ablaze last Thursday just after midnight. The fire truck, given the moniker “Thumper,” is a “memorial for Edward Travis, a fraternity member who died in the 1990s, according to recent Marshall grad and Pike alumni Cameron Wadley.”
Arson is suspected after a propane tank was discovered inside the charred fire engine.
The 1967 International Engine fire truck, which sits in the front lawn of the Phi [sic] Kappa Alpha (Pike) fraternity house at 1411 5th Ave., caught fire around 12:35 a.m. Thursday morning. A propane tank was found inside the truck.
Huntington fire marshal Steve Ellis said the propane tank was placed inside the truck before it was set on fire. There is an ongoing criminal investigation with the Huntington Police Department and the Fire Marshal.
Thankfully, no one was injured.
Image via Travels of the Rambling Roses