The University of Kentucky Hates Tailgating, Funby Bacon 1 year ago
This is a letter from the president of the University of Kentucky, Dr. Eli Capilouto, to the students and faculty of UK. It’s
informing them that there will be some changes in this week’s tailgate for the UK-USC football game taking a hot dump all over the chests of fun and freedom.
Colleagues and Students,
Each year, a rite of fall on our campus is tailgating at football games. Fortunately, the vast majority of people who participate in these activities, including our students, celebrate responsibly and appropriately.
That atmosphere — part of what makes our campus so special — is something we all want to promote.
But two weeks ago, before and after the game with Western Kentucky University, a small number of people acted in a manner that seriously threatened the safety of those around them and of police and other safety officials who are there to protect us all. Such behavior will not be tolerated.
As a result, the following steps are being taken this weekend during the game against the University of South Carolina:
· There will be an increased police, athletics and student affairs presence in the areas that were negatively impacted two weeks ago — the non-reserved tailgate space along Cooper Drive between Sports Center Drive and University Drive.
· No alcohol will be allowed in that area. Police and state alcohol beverage control officials will be citing people who serve or use alcohol in that area.
· No DJs or bands will be allowed to set up in this area as well.
· Individuals or student organizations that promote drinking or that utilize DJs and bands in this area will be subject to disciplinary actions by our Dean of Students Office that could, ultimately, impact their organizational status.
We want people to attend games. We want all of you to tailgate and enjoy each other’s company in a responsible fashion. But we will not allow actions and behaviors that threaten the safety of our students, our fans or of officials who are present to protect everyone.
Thank you for your help and cooperation in ensuring that everyone at our games is assured of a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience.
University of Kentucky
Goddamn basketball schools.
I’m not exactly sure what happened, but I assume students, specifically Greeks, started rioting after Kentucky lost to FREAKIN’ WESTERN KENTUCKY. To me this is blatant hypocrisy on the part of the administration. Who is really to blame for the students’ behavior? If you don’t want your students to angrily rage then you should probably start fielding a team that CAN BEAT WESTERN FUCKING KENTUCKY. What did you expect, Dr. Capiluouto? Hmmm? Kentucky has a championship pedigree. Sure it’s in basketball, but yours is a proud school nonetheless. To lose to a collection of mid-major hill people is inexcusable, and frankly demands the outrageous behavior that resulted from the loss.
But in all honesty Dr. Capilouto has taken drastic measures to protect the “sanctity” of a football program’s reputation that absolutely no one gives a crap about. The fact that he is letting what he claims to be “a small number of people” influence his decision to punish what is in fact a very LARGE number of people seems pretty asinine, and tells you that the administration was probably looking for an excuse to do something like this and finally got one.
If it really was just a small number of people causing trouble wouldn’t the increased number of police and event staff alone be able handle any wrongdoing? Not only would an increased police presence probably keep things more orderly, it would definitely curb the amount of drinking, specifically by minors. To also ban DJs, bands, and all alcohol along with adding the police is overkill. Like John Calipari giving all his five-star recruits a Range Rover with a hooker in every seat, overkill. Those cops are going to be patrolling an empty lot while I assume Greeks will find somewhere else to tailgate.
University of Kentucky Sports: Is it March yet?
[h/t to reader slamron fratley]
Here’s a video of one of the fights, supposedly between a bunch of UK
and WKU fans, that helped bring about Kentucky’s tailgate shutdown.
[h/t to uncle jackie]
Got a news story that we should know about? Send us a tip at email@example.com.
Also by Bacon
- Some Arizona State Kid Is Advertising His Finals Week Drug Deals Via Twitter, Is Probably Actually A Cop
- In The Most Un-American Announcement Ever, NFL Declares There Will Be No Tailgating For This Year’s Super Bowl
- Here’s A List Of All The Bowl Game Gift Packages, And As Always They’re Ridiculous
- Oregon Football Players Organize Snowball Fight, Mostly Just Assault Random People With Snow
- Time Names The 3 Best And Worst States To Get Drunk In