University of Miami AEPi Dies After Attending Ultra Music Festival

Email this to a friend

Nice Move

We are sad to announce that 21-year-old Adam Levine, a senior political science major at the University of Miami and a brother of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity, passed away last week after attending Ultra Music Festival.

Reports from Sun Sentinel say he died after complications from a seizure:

On Sunday night, Ultra Music Festival security chief Ray Martinez released a statement:

“It is our understanding that Adam Levine, one of our patrons, was here on Friday night. We can tell you that our security personnel noticed he was having difficulties and immediately called Miami Fire Rescue to get him medical attention…Unfortunately he passed away at the hospital.”

Martinez’s statement also said the festival was cooperating with police in the investigation into Levine’s death.

It is with heavy hearts that we share the news that Adam Levine passed away last night at Jackson Memorial Hospital….

Posted by UMiami Student Government on Saturday, March 19, 2016

Goddammit this sucks. He was a smart kid. Well-loved. Good head on his shoulders. Involved and passionate about the world around him. Not only was Levine a leader in his fraternity, he was a leader in the student government. When he graduated, he planned on attending dental school.

Harry Kroll, a fraternity brother and roommate of Levine’s, was the first to weigh in on how friendly, positive, and generally awesome Levine was as a person.

“He was such a positive presence,” said Kroll, his roommate and fraternity brother. “He truly had that infectious, magnetic personality.”

Kroll and Levine were fraternity pledges together, and then were roommates for about two years. The last time Kroll saw Levine was the morning he went to the music festival with a group of friends.

Kroll said he’ll never forget how thoughtful Levine was.

“He was the type of guy who would just randomly text you…he would take the time and make other feel valued,” he said. “He had a lot of best friends.”

There aren’t too many details about what caused Levine’s seizure. Maybe he had epilepsy, which was triggered by the pulsating lights of the electronic music festival. Maybe he was severely dehydrated. Maybe he took something funky.

I’m not jumping to conclusions here, but this looks a lot like the last one. I ask all of you planning to go to music festivals this year to look at this article I wrote last year about the MDMA overdoses at Wesleyan University, and how to be smart about taking the drug. Basically, moderation is key. Take a small, key-bump sized dose and sit on it for an hour and a half. Still not feeling it? Take another key-bump sized dose. If you’re not feeling it after that, then you’ve got some bunk shit, and taking any more could cause all the negative side effects with none of the reward.

RIP Adam. You will be missed. The rest of you, be safe out there, and keep an eye on your brothers.

[via Sun Sentinel]

Comments

You must be logged in to comment. Log in or create an account.

Click to Read Comments (21)