Surprise, surprise. A Tom Herman coached team came out swinging for a primetime game as an underdog. You knew they were at least covering the second you saw these two on the sidelines.
But despite the McConaughey effect and another sub-par performance from Sam Darnold, the heart of an entire state (republic) was ripped out by the most unlikely of heroes.
Nut flex of the year nominee
It’s never getting better than that moment, my man. I’d quit on the spot and go out while I’m still on top of the world.
Speaking of which, I should probably take my own advice. Yes, your boy went a casual 6-2-1 on his picks this weekend, boosting his record to 16-4-1 on the season (which you can follow @Dan_Regester on Twitter), but I’m all too aware that it’s only a matter of time before the gambling gods pull the flimsy ground from under me.
5 more takeaways from the weekend
– The moronic “Lamar Jackson isn’t an NFL QB” take will be discussed ad nauseam throughout the remainder of the season.
– Alabama will sleepwalk their way to the playoffs with their only scare coming in November at Stark Vegas.
– Feleipe Franks wrote Butch Jones pink slip.
– Always fade a West coast team traveling east for an early kickoff.
– And the Pac 12 should probably just extend a conference invite to San Diego State.
Frivilous Heisman Power 4
1. Baker Mayfield 63-82, 76.2%, 1046 yds, 10 TDs, 0 INTs
2. Saquon Barkley 38 rushes, 307 yds, 8.1 YPC, 3 TDs / 11 catches, 241 yds, 2 TDs
3. Mason Rudolph 68-94, 72.3%, 1135 yds, 11 TDs, 1 INT
4. Royce Freeman 82 rushes, 460 yds, 5.6 YPC, 9 TDs / 6 catches, 109 yds
This week in existential crisis
The highlight reel plays you’ve already seen a few dozen times
Heads up play of the week
This week in nature
This week in CTE
Most lit crowd of the night
Yearly reminder that Boise State has the best tee retriver in the game
Trivial fact of the week
Florida State is the first winless team to be ranked in the Week 4 AP Poll since Donovan McNabb’s ’96 Syracuse squad.
AP Top 25
4. Penn State
6. Oklahoma State
10. Ohio State
12. Florida State
13. Virginia Tech
14. Miami (Fla.)
17. Mississippi State
18. Washington State
21. South Florida
22. San Diego State
Early line you should probably hop on now
TCU(+12) in Stillwater. Cowboys look like an unstoppable machine, but take Gary Patterson and the points now and thank me later when this line drops to single digits.
Special thanks to Tailgate Guys, Hiball Energy, and Natural Light for supporting the TFM tailgate all year long. You can follow us all season long @Backdoorcoverpodcast on Instagram and submit photos and videos for your chance to win the Natural Light Tailgate Contest. Tailgate Guys hooks us up with a dope spot every Texas home game and we’ll be there all season long. Tailgate Guys makes tailgating extremely easy and they run game days on 16 campuses nationwide.