5 major takeaways from the weekend
1. How do you keep your highly coveted coach for another year? Lose to Rutgers. Beat that big ass drum for another year of Jeff Brohm, Purdue.
2. Speaking of hottest commodities in the coaching carousel, Matt Campbell you’re the next man up. Everyone knows once you hit that magic number of 5 wins at Iowa State, a SEC job offer is right around the corner.
3. Kansas should be relegated to the FCS. At the very least, they need to bring back Mark Mangino and be an entertaining trainwreck.
4. The nation’s longest streak of 35 consecutive bowl seasons is most likely coming to an end this year. Florida State needs to win 4 of their last 5 to be eligible. I just don’t see it happening.
5. A little biased here since these were the teams of my childhood growing up in the Northeast, but college football is just so much better when Penn State and Notre Dame are in the mix.
Frivilous Heisman Power 5
1. Saquon Barkley – Penn State
2. Bryce Love – Stanford
3. Baker Mayfield – Oklahoma
4. Josh Adams – Notre Dame
5. Will Grier – West Virginia
Here’s our weekly check-in with college football’s best gunslinger.
Billy didn’t get a whole lot of help on the other side of the ball against a vaunted 0-7 Baylor squad, but this was certainly a rare glimpse of textbook defense by WVU.
Now on to the man that’s actually going to win the Heisman.
Whiteout? Revenge game? Every kid with the slightest interest in Happy Valley in attendance? Of course James Franklin was going to run up the score on Michigan. He lives for this.
You know he saw that opening line this week against Ohio State with the Nittanies as 7.5 point dogs and will spin it as the ultimate “No one believes in us” bulletin board material for practice. Not like they need it. With 26 and this man running the show, they’re going to be just fine in Columbus.
Their D isn’t half bad either.
And the fans? One of a kind.
You say this now, but ask any Tennessee fan how the last 11 years have gone.
Hey, Rocky Top. I know this suave young coach in Florida that would love to head a big time SEC program.
Who says you can’t go back?
And I think it’s safe to finally officially take Brian Kelly and Coach O off the hot seat.
Wouldn’t shock me to see both Adams and Guice in New York come December sitting next to perennial invitee, Baker Mayfield.
Even my man’s turnovers are exhilarating.
You don’t just walk into Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium and expect to come out with a…
That closing stretch, other than the Jayhawks, is brutal. Bedlam and the Horn frogs back to back? The Big 12 is going to cannibalize itself. I mean especially since Texas is BACK.
That’s a statement L right there. Best 4 loss team in the country?
Actually, they might reside in New York.
Not sure why more people don’t lead with a flying knee. Seems to be the only thing that works on Manny Diaz’s D.
I guess clearing a grown man altogether works, too.
Or just using them as a launch pad.
Or this new thing Arizona’s doing where Khalil Tate doesn’t get touched.
Simple but effective.
Around the rest of the country
AP Top 25
2. Penn State
6. Ohio State
9. Notre Dame
11. Oklahoma State
13. Virginia Tech
14. NC State
15. Washington State
16. Michigan State
17. South Florida
22. West Virginia
25. Iowa State
Special thanks to Criquet Shirts, Tailgate Guys, Hiball Energy, and Natural Light for supporting the TFM tailgate all year long. You can follow us all season long @Backdoorcoverpodcast on Instagram and submit photos and videos for your chance to win the Natural Light Tailgate Contest. Tailgate Guys hooks us up with a dope spot every Texas home game and we’ll be there all season long. Tailgate Guys makes tailgating extremely easy and they run game days on 16 campuses nationwide.