At least eight members of Boston College’s basketball team reportedly have E. coli after eating Chipotle this week, according to BCInterruption.com.
Boston College coaches confirmed that food poisoning was the reason the Eagles had to sit half their bench in yesterday’s contest against UMass-Lowell. This is not the first time Chipotle has been linked to an E. coli outbreak.
From BC Interruption:
There aren’t too many things that could soften the blow of a loss to UMass-Lowell in the sport of basketball, but we may have something. BC coaches have confirmed that the food poisoning that caused a handful of players to miss yesterday’s game was actually E.coli. A BC coach followed up to say that “there are 8 players on the team confirmed to have E.coli.”
BC Interruption has also learned that moments ago, Boston College’s university medical staff sent out a campus-wide email notifying students and faculty that there are numerous people on campus that caught E.Coli from the Chipotle restaurant in Cleveland Circle. Chipotle has been under fire nationally for contributing to an E.Coli outbreak.
Obviously this is a serious situation and more serious than anything that will happen on the basketball court. That being said the status of all players impacted by the nasty bacteria still have a status that remains uncertain for the Providence game Wednesday night.
What a nasty turn of events at Boston College, particularly because I had a Chipotle burrito for lunch today. I was skeptical of all of the E. coli reports, but they are clearly legit.
Boston College had to cancel practice today due to a shortage of players. 10 players sat out because of stomach issues, and one due to an ankle injury. Here is an email that was sent out to all of Boston College’s student athletes, warning them not to eat at the fast-casual Mexican restaurant.
An email sent out earlier today to all the BC athletes. General population got one a couple hours later. pic.twitter.com/Ss0uQZdyMA
— Michael Sullivan (@SullyHeights) December 7, 2015
If you are a student at Boston College, you should probably avoid any and all Chipotle restaurants in the neighborhood for at least a month. And if you’re a Providence basketball player, congrats on your easy victory Wednesday night.
Here is to hoping everyone involved heals quickly..
[via BC Interruption]
Image via YouTube