My Experience Being Drug Tested by the NCAA

After high school, I was determined to continue my mediocre career as a student athlete. I abandoned football in high school and instead joined the throwing section of my school’s track team due to laziness. I accepted a partial scholarship at a school in the Amish capitol of the country. It was a school in Lancaster, Pennsylvania called Franklin and Marshall where the students have nothing to do other than drink and smoke. 

I had a pretty impressive THC routine in high school. It was necessary to abandon it when arriving on college for fear of a drug test. I instead opted to focus on alcohol, until one of the older members of the track team invited me to smoke weed one time. In between puffs, I asked if I should worry about a drug test. The group informed me that the school only tested one guy and girl from the team each semester. l I was ok with those odds, and got a level of stoned that I only call, high school high. 

Over the course of the semester, I found myself increasingly bored. The town had less action than the Northern tip of the map in Grand Theft Auto 5. Most of the athletes I met had been smoking the whole semester, so I too indulged a few times a week. I read a book that semester I was so bored. Don’t chastise me for smoking a little pot. 

This routine was fine enough. Until the day I woke up to the email that I had been dreading in the back of my mind for several months. It was a Tuesday morning, and it was the first thing I saw when I woke up for my 10 am class. I texted every athlete I knew on campus. I texted every stoner I knew in high school. There wasn’t advice on how to pass a drug test that I hadn’t heard. 

There are supposedly magic drinks you can buy to flush your system. I couldn’t get those in time. Instead, I bought a gallon of cranberry juice and a drug test at CVS. I failed the home drug test, so the panic really set in. I started chugging cranberry juice, and sat on an exercise bike in several layers of a sweat suit. 

After half a gallon of cranberry juice, and thirteen miles, I stumbled off the bike. The only thing different between me and Lance Armstrong in that moment, was a singular ball. I took a shower and made my way to the gym, which had doubled as a testing facility. To my surprise, the test was the next day. I only had to go that day to hear instructions and fill out paper work. 

When I arrived at the testing facility the next day, there were five NCAA officials. They ranged from the age of 65-75, and all looked just as burdened to be there as we were. When it was your turn, one of them would take you to a bathroom to watch you pee in a cup. By watch, I mean that an elderly man saw a freckle on my privates that day. 

During my turn, I couldn’t fill up the cup all the way. This meant I was given a bottle of water and a seat at the end of the line to try again. When I walked into the bathroom the second time, the official asked, “No stage fright this time?” It was possibly the most demeaning thing I’d ever heard. I filled up the cup anyway.

The only way I knew how to celebrate the end of the process was with a joint. I truly had no idea whether or not I passed, but I couldn’t worry about it anymore. Being kicked off the track team would’ve been a pricier high than any I’ve had in my life, but it was in the past.

Two weeks later, I received the news that I passed. I participated in one meet with the team, and transferred out at the end of the semester. I didn’t learn much from this story. Except for the fact that Johnny Manziel was definitely walking into his drug tests with a bag of urine taped to his under carriage.

total frat move logo

Written by TFM

To comment, fill out your name and email below.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pros And Cons Of All Food Cuisines

Behind the Scenes of Livvy Dunne’s SI Swimsuit Shoot