Longtime Democrat, comedian, and outspoken logic user Bill Maher has continued his run of verbal warnings that the party has gone so far Left that it is almost unrecognizable to more traditional Democrats.
This time he did not do it on his own show, he went on CNN and offered criticism of the party that is literally never put on those airwaves.
There are plenty of highlights and so I will just cobble together some of his best takes instead of trying to write around everything.
- “I think there’s a lot of old-school liberals like me who don’t like what’s going on — on the far end of the left,” Maher said. “I keep saying when you’re doing something that sounds likes a headline in The Onion, that’s when know you’ve gone too far. ‘Land of Lincoln cancels Lincoln.’ That really happened… Seattle, the city council voted to decriminalize crime. This is an Onion headline… This is what I mean about the party of no common sense.”
- “I keep saying this to the Democratic Party. The reason why you’re so toxic is because you’ve become the party of no common sense. And people see this on their newsfeeds,” Maher said. “They see things on their phone or on their Facebook page, people pass things around and it’s a constant drip, drip, drip of ‘Oh, these people are nuts’ in a way — they’re not oblivious to the fact that Trump is nuts. When he ran, one of his big selling points was ‘You’ve got no choice.’ He was saying, ‘Yes, I know I’m nuts. You know I’m nuts. But they’re nuts in a very different way that’s closer to home to you.'”
- “That kind of person is not going to care as much about that as something that is much closer to happens in my home,” Maher told Cuomo. “If my kid comes home from school and tells me, ‘They’re telling me I’m a racist. What does that word mean, Mommy?’ Is a kid, a young kid old enough to process that? Or, you know, comes home and says, ‘I think I’m a girl now’ and the school says that — I think in California now, you have to go by that. If a child wants to change his name to a girl’s name, that stuff is right in your home. That’s at your kitchen table. That is the kind of stuff that is going to get people who go, ‘Oh, you know, what he’s was doing — Trump and Ukraine, it was wrong as much as I read about it, but Ukraine is a long way away and this is my house and these are my children.”
- “I’m an old-school liberal… They changed, not me. I was the old, ‘We should be moving towards a colorblind society where we don’t see race.’ That’s the old way of looking at it. I think that’s still the good way of looking at it. That’s how we win when it doesn’t matter what your race is,” Maher said. “That’s not wokeism. Wokeism — we have to see it everywhere all the time. That’s different. I don’t know if that makes it better.”
- “I think it was Tommy Tuberville, the Republican senator from Alabama, wanted to catch the Democrats and put defunding of the police up for a vote. It lost in the Senate 99 to nothing. No Democrat voted for it. But if you ask the average person, ‘Are the Democrats for defunding the police?’ ‘Oh yeah.’ That’s the disconnect that the Democrats really better address,” Maher added.
He also discussed ‘progressivephobia’ … the party never being able to celebrate progress because it just keeps moving the fences back… and the disconnect from what real people want and what a small faction of outspoken members want.
It is actually a pretty great segment, if you care to watch it…
Go to the tape: