It easily could happen to anyone.
Sam, a 25-year-old from North Carolina, posted a TikTok about how her wedgie landed her in the ICU and almost killed her.
The TikTok since has been taken down, although she told Buzzfeed, “It’s nothing to be ashamed of.” The TikTok had over 7.8 Million views.
Before you write this off as a freak accident, this could easily have happened to you. It’s much more common than you think.
Sam told Buzzfeed, she did pick her wedgie multiple times throughout the day. “The timeline goes like this: I went on a full-day date with this guy I was newly dating, and realized I was wearing very uncomfortable clothes. I chose to ignore it and just enjoy my time. The next day, I felt very sore and then started feeling ill — just not 100%. That night, I noticed that I had a large bump where the chafing had occurred, and as time went on, it started becoming more painful. The pain was isolated to one spot and it felt like a throbbing, stabbing pain.”
She went to the hospital the next day for some antibiotics but the infection was too severe
“The very next morning, I was in septic shock and rushed to the ER by my mom. I was shivering, very breathless, could not walk, and had extreme body aches. They admitted me to the ICU, and that’s when I realized this was a bit more serious than I had anticipated. I was in the ICU for almost four days, where the doctors were debating debridement surgery (basically, cutting off the part of my butt that was infected).”
Luckily Sam didn’t have to do that. “I was able to recover in the ICU and avoid the surgery. Then I was sent to the ER for three days to fully recover before they sent me home. After I left the hospital, I was told to rest at home for a full month. Unfortunately, the cellulitis came back a month later, and I had to go back to the ER only for a day, where they treated me with antibiotics.”
Okay, so how common is this??
The incidence of anorectal abscess falls between 68,000 and 96,000 per annum in the United States.
How does this happen?
An abscess occurs when a cut in the skin has bacteria in it. Sam’s wedgie from her jean shorts gave her a cut in her skin. Her tight shorts, or underwear, kept the bacteria on the cut. This could’ve happened to anyone. It must be treated quickly or it can make you very sick. Cellulitis occurs mostly in immunocompromised people, such as those with diabetes.
SO LADIES, let take this baggy jean trend seriously. It’s better for our cooch. Let’s not leave sweaty or tight clothes too long – regardless of how good your under booty looks.
love you bbs,
never forget, don’t sleep in your thong!